JEBEL ALI FREE-ZONE (JAFZA)
JAFZA, one of the world’s largest and the fastest growing free zones, is Economic Zones World’s flagship operation. Since its inception in 1985, JAFZA has grown to spread over an area of 48 sq. kms. and become home to over 6400 companies. This list boasts of over 120 of the Fortune Global 500 enterprises, from across the world. With its impeccable track record, JAFZA has become a leading driver of the mushrooming UAE economy. JAFZA epitomizes everything that a business and business economy strives for – innovation, customer centricity, transparent operations and entrepreneurial dynamism.
BUSINESS IN JAFZA
JAFZA’s desire to provide an unparalleled business and investment destination and experience has given roots to its work ethos of professionalism, courtesy and efficiency.
These business values manifest themselves in a host of tangible and intangible value-added services. Their value proposition consists of the integration of products and services offered that include services and incentives, such as 100% foreign ownership, no customs duty, 0% income and corporate tax, no labor restrictions, no currency restriction, and one-stop shopping for services.
For a perfect business environment, JAFZA has given special focus to world-class infrastructure, amenities, incentives and unparalleled logistic infrastructure.
- Superbly sited between East and West and a convenient stopping off point for global trade traffic, the JAFZA is an ideal world hub.
- Established by government decree in 1985, the JAFZA has gone from strength to strength and it is easy to see why so many multinational giants have chosen the JAFZA as their regional distribution center.
- It is well connected by International Road Network, Sea Port and AirPort.
- To qualify for establishing a company, one merely needs to have a company already registered either in the UAE or overseas – including offshore companies. Alternatively, one could form a legal entity right in the Jebel Ali Free Zone – called the Free Zone Establishment (FZE) or Free Zone Company (FZCO) or a Branch of a Foreign Company
JAFZA Company Type
- Free Zone Establishment (FZE) and Free Zone Company (FZCO) : FZE and FZCO applicants can avail of Jafza’s unique offer of forming a company as a separate legal entity. A FZE formation can be with a single shareholder with a minimum capital of AED 1 million. An FZCO can be formed with 2 to 5 shareholders with a minimum capital of AED 500,000.
- Branch Company : Companies having valid registration and license outside Jafza can apply for the formation of a branch Company in Jafza.
- Special Status Non-Resident Offshore Companies : Jafza, under Jebel Ali Free Zone Offshore Companies Regulations 2003, allows the formation of an offshore Company by individuals or corporate bodies, as a non-resident company, having a corporate legal entity.
JAFZA License Type
- General Trading License : Allows the holder to import, distribute and store all items as per Jafza rules and regulations.
- Trading License : Allows the holder to import, export, distribute and store items specified on the license.
- Industrial License : Allows the holder to import raw materials, carry out the manufacture of specified products and export the finished product to any country.
- Service License : Allows the holder to carry out the services specified in the license within the Free Zone. The type of service must conform to the parent company’s license, issued by the Economic Department or Municipality of the relevant Emirate in the UAE.
- National Industrial License : Designed for manufacturing companies with an ownership or shareholding of at least 51% with AGCC (Arabian Gulf Co-operation Council) nationals / citizens. The value added to the product in the Free Zone must amount to a minimum of 40%. This company license allows the holder the same status as a local or AGCC inside the UAE.
|Jebel Ali Free Zone (JAFZA)|
|About the free zone||JAFZA is one of the fastest growing freezones of the world and houses the Jebel Ali Sea Port. The Jebel Ali Sea Port connects the world through its 150 shipping lines. The Dubai Logistics Corridor integrates the free zone with the world’s largest airport – Jebel Ali’s Al Maktoum International Airport. The free zone is also connected with neighboring countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain and Oman through highways.|
|Number of companies||Over 6,400 companies including over 120 fortune 500 companies from across the world|
|Industry focus||Suitable for all types of industries|
|Limited liability companies||Yes|
|Minimum number of shareholders required||1|
|Minimum number of directors required||1|
|Corporate shareholders allowed||Yes|
|Corporate directors allowed||No|
|Public register of shareholders and directors||NO|
|Access to UAE Double Taxation Treaties||Yes|
|Access to UAE Double Taxation Treaties||Yes|
|Port at freezone||Jebel Ali Seaport|
|Allowed to import and export goods||Yes|
|Commercial offices||Available as commercial offices, food courts and retail stores.|
|Industrial premises||Available as leased land or ready factory buildings|
|Warehousing facility||Available as leased land or ready warehouses|
|Accommodation facility||Accommodation facility for labor|
|Major companies example||DHL, TNT, P&G, GE, JVC, L’Oreal, YSL, Dior, Estee Lauder, Joutun|