DUBAI WORLD CENTRAL
The spirit of entrepreneurship and visionary foresight has been the hallmark of Dubai’s meteoric rise as a preeminent global destination. From the creation of Port Rashid to the Dubai Metro, the emirate has a tradition of investing in its future and developing the infrastructure necessary to spark future growth and further diversification of its economy. Dubai World Central is a continuation of this legacy. The strategic underpinning of the master-planned development is based on three key factors: Dubai’s geographic location, the increasing importance of airports and the region’s booming aviation sector.
BUSINESS IN Dubai World Central
Dubai is a vital connection point between East and West. Facilitating the global flow of goods, services and ideas, Dubai’s foreign trade amounted to USD 190 billion in 2011. Furthermore, its location positions it as a gateway to the emerging MENASA (Middle East, North Africa and South Asia) markets, which have a cumulative GDP of USD 3.6 trillion (2009) and an estimated one-quarter of the world’s population. DWC further cements Dubai’s leading position as a logistics and trade hub. It takes advantage of Jebel Ali Port (the largest container port between Singapore and Rotterdam) and seamlessly connects it to Al Maktoum International Airport through the dedicated Dubai Logistics Corridor. This forms a single custom-bonded zone, reducing time on the ground and accelerating the flow of sea-to-air/ air-to-sea cargo. With direct access to the major trans-emirate road networks, DWC is a true multimodal logistics platform providing unprecedented levels of connectivity, speed and efficiency. Leading logistics businesses such as Aramex, Kuehne + Nagel and Panalpina are taking advantage of DWC’s dedicated Logistics District to grow their businesses within the region and beyond.
Dubai World Central company type
- DWC-LLC: A DWC limited liability company is a new legal entity with its own legal personality. The liability of its members (shareholders) is limited to the value of the share capital they hold in the company. A DWC limited liability company must have Shareholders, Directors, a Company Secretary and a General Manager, and will have the designation DWC-LLC.
- Branch: A Branch is a representative office of a legal entity which already exists outside of the DWC Free Zone (local or international). A Branch does not have a separate legal personality, and it derives its power and authority from the parent entity.
Dubai World Central License type
- Commercial License : Allows the holder to carry out specified commercial services including general trading and logistics services.
- Service License : Allows the holder to carry out services specified in the License within the DWC Free Zone and elsewhere in the UAE.
- Industrial License : Allows the holder to carry out specified light manufacturing activities.
- Education License : Allows the holder to carry out educational and social services, educational aid training, and educational consultancy services.
|Dubai World Central|
|About the free zone||The integrated master plan of Dubai World Central is comprised of eight districts: logistics, aviation, Al Maktoum International Airport, humanitarian, residential, commercial, leisure, exhibition and commercial. The centerpiece of the master plan is the Al Maktoum International Airport, which has the first of five planned runways completed and in operation. The logistics, humanitarian and aviation districts enjoy the added benefits of airside access while the exhibition district offers efficiency and cost savings due to its close proximity to the airport. Residential, commercial and leisure districts provide accommodation, office and entertainment options for people working at DWC and businesses that require frequent travel. It would be the venue for Dubai EXPO 2020.|
|Number of companies||Over 1,000|
|Industry focus||Aviation and logistics|
|Limited liability companies||Yes|
|Minimum number of shareholders required||1|
|Minimum number of directors required||1|
|Corporate shareholders allowed||Yes|
|Corporate directors allowed||No|
|Public register of shareholders and directors||No|
|Access to UAE Double Taxation Treaties||Yes|
|Port at freezone||Al Makhtoum International Airport. Jebel Ali sea port in the vicinity.|
|Allowed to import and export goods||Yes|
|Major companies example||Aramex, Kuehne + Nagel, Panalpina, INL, RSA and Hellmann-Calipar|